This page will walk you through updating your WordPress site from a dev domain to a live domain. Or vice-versa.
- Both domains point to the WordPress installation with https (verify in browser)
- Better Search Replace plugin installed
It is strongly recommended to take a backup of your site in case something goes wrong
- Log in to your WordPress Dashboard
- Go to Settings → General
- Update the WordPress Address and Site Address to the new domain and save the settings.
You will be prompted to log into the WordPress Dashboard again after saving the settings.
- Go to Tools → Better Search Replace
- In Search For, enter the old domain. Include “https://”.
- In Replace with, enter the new domain. Include “https://”.
CRITICAL NOTE: Both entries must either end in a slash, or not end a slash. They must match or you will break your site.
- In Select Tables, select all tables
- For Case-Insensitive?, check the box
- For Replace GUIDs?, check the box
- For Run as dry run?, uncheck the box
- Click Run Search/Replace
Note: If your site was set up on “http” instead of “https” at any time, you must run another search and replace using “http://” for the Search For and “https://” Replace with or else not all links will be updated.